Welcome to OFT
Your source for Online Firearm Training!
Pick your state to get started!
About the course
We've been doing online firearm training since 2019, when Initiative I-1639 in Washington State created new firearm training requirements. We created this training program to satisfy the requirements of that new law while keeping it accessible to anyone. Even if they aren't in a financial situation to spend hundreds on a typical firearms training class, or if they can't dedicate an entire day to take one in person, or if they are already an experienced shooter. Since then we have expanded by offering state-certified Concealed Handgun Carry Permit training in Tennessee, and are now expanding nationally.
Our courses have been taken by over 10,000 people and use studio-quality, professionally shot and edited, high-definition streaming video for all course content - not a simple web page or PDF like some other online training courses.
Our course will take about 90 minutes to complete, is entirely online, and only costs $20.
The program is broken up into multiple educational topics. Each topic consists of a video that must be watched in its entirety, followed by a short multiple choice quiz. After completing all topics, we have one more quiz on everything that the class covers. After you've completed that quiz, you'll be presented with your training certificate. Training material is customized for each area to provide relevant information.
The topics include:
- Handgun Uses - Where we discuss the common uses of pistols.
- Basic Firearms Safety - Which covers the four fundamental rules of firearm safety.
- Safe Handling of Firearms - Which discusses additional safety rules while shooting.
- Ammunition - Where you'll see the parts of a firearm cartridge.
- Handgun Features - Which describes all of the components and functionality of common handguns.
- Action Types - Where we will demonstrate different modes of operation for common handguns.
- Handgun Function - Where you'll be shown how to load, unload, discharge, and make a handgun safe.
- Handgun Techniques - Where we'll demonstrate how to safely draw from a holster and fire.
- Firearms and Suicide Prevention - Where you'll LEARN how to support a person who is in emotional distress.
- Handgun Uses and Techniques - Where you will receive basic instruction on shooting fundamentals.
- Secure Gun Storage - Where you'll be introduced to the wide variety of ways to secure a firearm.
- Safe Transportation - Which describes how to safely transport a firearm on your person.
- Safe Handgun Cleaning Instructions - Where will show you how to clean your handgun safely.
- Firearm Law - Which will go over the main pieces of legislation regarding firearms Federally, and current state law on carrying handguns.
- Deadly Force - Discusses the legalities and consequences of using deadly force.
- Violent Confrontations - Includes techniques for avoiding a criminal attack.
Our material was created by an NRA Certified Firearm Instructor in collaboration with the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and Project Childsafe. Some material has been reviewed by an attorney who specializes in firearm law.
Once you've completed the course, you will be presented with a digital certificate, certifying under penalty of perjury that you have completed a compliant training program. The certificate contains a verification code that can be used to ensure it's authenticity, and is signed by an NRA Certified Firearm Instructor. If you'd like to see what our certificates look like, Click Here.
Our course has been fully reviewed and approved by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security to ensure the course is in compliance with the law, and has been used by thousands of Tennessee residents to obtain their Concealed Handgun Carry Permit.
Our course was the first recognized online firearm course satisfying I-1639, and has been updated since HB-1143 to meet the new requirements. Our certificates have been used by thousands of Washington residents as a requirement to purchase a semi-automatic rifle.